Ethiopian Seitan with Peppers


This is an oldie (meaning I've been making it since going vegan in 2009), but a really good goodie from my favorite vegan chef on earth, Isa Chandra Moskowitz's fantastic cookbook, Vegan with a Vengeance.

Apparently I'm on an African kick now, which is great during this cold and flu season. I firmly believe the spices used in this dish (and the Senegalese recipe) keep me from getting sick. The only danger is the possibility of overeating because it's THAT good. I hope you enjoy this as much as we do in our house. Also, invite some friends over, because this recipe makes a LOT of food!

I did add some other ingredients: tomatoes and onions, but the peppers stand on their own juuuust fine!

Ingredients for the puree:

I made this before my spice container makeover, obviously.

6 serrano chiles, seeded and coarsely chopped (Wear gloves!)
1 TBSP fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
1/4 tsp. turmeric
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 C red wine (or not)
2-3 TBSP. olive oil

Ingredients for the seitan and peppers (and onions, etc.):

2lbs. homemade seitan (see previous post). You can also you pre-made if you don't have the time to make your own.

2 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1" strips
1 28 ox. can stewed or chopped tomatoes (optional)
1 large white or yellow onion, chopped


Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Place all puree ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth-ish.


Place seitan strips, peppers and onions in a 9x13"glass baking dish.


Smother with crushed tomatoes and puree.


Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil, flip the seitan and peppers and cook for 20 more minutes, uncovered.


Serve over rice or with Injera – Ethiopian bread that reminds me of paper towel from elementary school, except it tastes good! I have not tried to make this myself yet (it's on the list), but I have gone and picked some up at the local Ethiopian joint down the street a few times. Normally, I just serve it over brown basmati rice.
Also, I have been known to double the puree recipe (just not the oil!) if I am not using tomatoes. I like alotta sauce!
This is seriously one of my favorite dishes. I hope you enjoy it too!

Comments

  1. I've just happily discovered your well-crafted, informative amazing blog and creative inventive and delicious looking recipes...It seems I am a kindred soul when it comes to ethnic spices..sauces...this all looks right up my alley! Thank you so much for sharing...We lived in Senegal for a while..and I so miss the spice mixes..Do you have a recipe for the Ethiopian enjera? I would so love to make this gluten-free bread...I loved your baked tortilla chip recipe by-the-by...and am running to my mexican market here in France to buy up the wonderful Tajin spice (it IS crack!) you have so graciously turned me on to! Thank you for sharing your culinary prowess..and I love the green background and formating of your blog..Superlative stuff..Have a lovely week and happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the rave review! I never really even cooked until I became vegan, and I would never have been able to if it wasn't for the amazing vegan chef, Isa Chandra Moskowitz. She is my number one inspiration and the brains behind a lot of these recipes!

    I actually haven't tried to make enjera yet, (I cheat and pick some up at the Ethiopian restaurant down the street) but I definitely want to make it myself. Of course once I do, I will post it here!

    Very, VERY pleased to hear you could find Tajin in France! I plan to move there in 2016 if all goes well, and have been curious about where I'd be able to get a lot of the spices/foods that I like to use. What part of France are you in?

    Thanks again! Reading your comment was such a great way to start my Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this came out pretty yummy. super easy to make...took about a full hour to cook though. i used jalapenos instead of seranos [since publix had none] and allspice instead of cardamom [since i can't justify spending $10 on a spice i don't have because i've never had a recipe call for it!] will def try it again with the correct ingredients! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I have used jalapeños in the past too. Maybe check and Indian grocery store for the cardamom. I actually found it at the Fatima Market on Deerfield Beach when I lived there. Totally random!! If you can find whole cardamom pods in bulk, you can just get a few and grind them up in your blender until they're a fine powder too. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment