I am a creature of habit.



One thing about me is, I am a creature of habit...at least when we're talking about dinner. If I find a recipe that is really good, really easy and really healthy, I'm going to eat it about once a week until I just can't do it anymore. One of these recipes is the Bok Choy Skillet Supper, originally from the April/May 2011 Vegetarian Times. Though I follow the recipe pretty closely most of the time, I have been known to swap out ingredients depending on what I've got in the house. Every time I have made it, it has been delicious and filling. Even my "If it never had a family, I don't want to eat it" step-father liked it! He did have a hot dog on the side (a HOT DOG!!!), but I'll forgive him. He doesn't know any better.

If you're not familiar with bulgur, it is a delicious, light, nutty-flavored whole grain that can be found in most grocery stores where you would find other grains. Specialty stores always carry it, and usually in bulk, which is how I buy it. It's really high in fiber and protein and low in fat. It's pretty carb-y (like most grains) so use it in moderation. A little goes a long way!

Last night I served it with a yummy heirloom tomato salad and a Justin's dark chocolate peanut butter cup with Swedish Fish for dessert. Yum! I was ridiculously full though, so the side and dessert weren't really necessary.

Some of you have this recipe already as I'd shared it before I started this blog, but for the rest of you, enjoy!

Ingredients:

2tsp. garlic-flavored olive oil, divided. Plus more for drizzling.
(I have minced fresh garlic into olive oil in the past, but recently got some garlic oil. Much easier!)

8oz. button or crimini mushrooms, sliced (2 cups)

8 cherry or grape tomates, halved
(I usually use way more.)

2 shallots, finely chopped (1/4 cup)

1 cup bulgur

1 cup mushroom broth
(I have used no-chicken broth and regular veggie broth as substitutes.)

1 sprig fresh thyme, plus 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, divided.

4 small bok choy, halved


Heat 1 tsp. garlic oil in skillet over med-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook 5 min. or until browned. Transfer to plate. Add tomatoes to skillet cut-side down and cook 2 min. or until browned (careful not to burn). Transfer to plate.

Add remaining 1 tsp. oil to skillet. Stir in shallots and sautee 2-3 min. Stir in bulgur until grains are coated with oil. Add broth, thyme sprig and 1-1/2 cups water. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Cover and reduce heat to med-low and simmer 5 min.

Arrange bok choy halves on top of bulgur with leaves pointing outward like spokes of a wheel. (I usually arrange them however they fit in the skillet, see first picture.)

Sprinkle mushrooms and tomatoes around bok choy halves. Cover and simmer 5 more min.
Remove from heat and let stand 10 min. Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves and drizzle with garlic oil.

Like I said, sometimes I forget an ingredient or swap out ingredients, like red onion instead of shallots, for instance. Sometimes I add fresh garlic. Sometimes I don't have any tomatoes. Every time it's good though. I hope you like it too!

www.vegetariantimes.com



Here's the nutritional info too –

Per 1-1/2 cup serving: 202 cal, 8g protein, 6g fat (<1g sat. fat) 34g carbs, 0mg cholesterol, 217mg sodium, 9g fiber and 3g sugar.

Pretty darned healthy!!








Comments