Vegan French Toast From The Happy Herbivore


After several failed attempts at vegan french toast, I finally discovered one that worked! And it was really good! Thanks to The Happy Herbivore, a cookbook that had been on my wish list for a while. This is a really simple recipe, but I'll admit, I did things a bit differently because I am obsessed with sourdough and had to use it. Guess what? Still good!

Here is the recipe:

Serves: 4, unless it's an extra gluttonous Sunday afternoon, then it serves 2

8 slices whole-wheat bread ( I used 4 slices of Trader Joe's cracked wheat sourdough)
1c vanilla non-dairy milk (I use Almond Breeze)
1/4 chickpea flour (Usually found in the bulk or baking section)
1tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp pure maple syrup (Not that Aunt Jemima garbage!)
1/2 tsp fine salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (Optional, but I used it)
Extra maple syrup for serving

Cut bread in half diagonally while skillet heats (med-high temp).

Whisk non-dairy milk, flour, cinnamon, maple syrup, salt, nutmeg and vanilla extract in a shallow bowl.

Spray skillet with cooking spray.

Dip a few slices into the mixture and transfer to skillet.

Cook for 3 minutes, flip over, cook for 3 more minutes.

Re-spray skillet and repeat with remaining slices.

Garnish with cinnamon, confectioners sugar and fresh fruit, and of course, more syrup!

There are  some variations of this using vegan eggnog (yum!) and more nutmeg for gingerbread style (oh, my!) in the book as well!

Nutritional information
Calories per serving: 70
Calories from fat: 12
Total fat: 1.3g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Total carbs: 11.2g
Dietary fiber: 2.8g
Sugars: 3.9g
Protein: 4g

ENJOY!
www.happyherbivore.com

Comments