I Am Currently OBSESSED With Chickpeas!!!

chick•pea [chik-pee]
noun
1. Also called garbanzo. a widely cultivated plant, Cicerarietinum, of the legume family, bearing pods containing pea like seeds.
2. The seeds of this plant, used extensively as a food.

Also known as one of my favorite foods on the entire planet. Considering my mom hates them, I don't remember where I acquired such a fondness for these little legumes. Anyway, I love them and have been playing with some new, easy recipes with them. Here is the recipe du jour, I hope you enjoy it too!

I found the original version of this recipe (which I have altered...the original had twice the rice and no kale) by clicking on one recipe somewhere, then another, then another, so my apologies for not knowing its original origin.


Stir-fried Chickpeas and Asparagus with Brown Rice, Kale and Lemon Tahini Dressing

Serves 4

A drizzle of canola or olive oil or spray oil for the pan
1 15 oz. can of chick pean, drained well. (About 1-3/4 cups)
2 garlic cloves (minced or crushed)
1 small-medium yellow onion, chopped
1/2 bunch asparagus cut into 1" pieces
5-6 cups kale (any variety)
1-1/2- 2 cups cooked brown rice (if you can, pre-cook the rice or get the ready-made kind since cold rice frys up better in the pan)
4 Tbsp slivered or sliced almonds
(You can add any veggies you want really. I had a few mushrooms that were looking a little sad, so I added those too)

For the Tahini dressing:
1/4 cup tahini (sesame butter)
Juice of 1-2 lemons (2-4 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2-6 Tbsp hot water
1 garlic clove, finely crushed (I use my Microplane grater)
Pinch of sea salt

To make the dressing, shake up everything in a container with a tight lid, adding more hot water as needed to get the consistency you want.

Heat some oil in a skillet over med-high heat, add chickpeas and cook for a few minutes, or until they start to pop and turn golden. Add two cloves minced or crushed garlic and a little salt and continue to cook until they are nicely golden and start to get crispy. Transfer to med-sized bowl.

Add onions to the pan along with a little more oil if you need it and cook for 4-5 minutes, until golden. Add the asparagus to the pan and cook for a minute or two, putting the lid on the pan to keep the steam in, just until the asparagus turns bright green and softens a bit. Take off the heat and transfer to bowl with chickpeas.

Put a splash of water in the pan and add the kale, stirring for a few minutes until all the water has evaporated. Transfer to bowl with asparagus and chickpeas.

Cook the rice in the same pan (I don't add anymore oil, but you can) and fry it for a few minutes, just to warm it through and brown it a bit. Add the chickpeas, kale, asparagus and onions and toss it around to warm everything through.

Split between bowls and add 1 Tbsp almonds to each bowl, drizzle with tahini dressing and serve. It is really tasty and filling! 

WW PointsPlus value of 11 per serving.

Keep your eyes open for more chickpea recipes from me in the near future. Like I said, I'm obsessed! 




Comments

  1. Dude! Try my pan-toasted garbanzos... to DIE for! http://eat-errific.blogspot.com/2009/07/toasted-garbanzos-who-knew.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!! I can't believe I never pan-toasted them before this! SO FREAKING GOOD!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment