Baked Corn Tortilla Chips


If you're anything like me, you crave salty, crunchy things more than sweets. My addiction to savory snacks has been known to derail my hard work keeping myself fit and healthy more than once. After successfully walking past the Lentil Curls at Trader Joe's yesterday without grabbing a bag (or two), I decided to get some plain corn tortillas instead and attempt to make my own baked tortilla chips. I've always heard it was super easy to do, and guess what? It totally is! 10 short minutes is all it takes to make these super crunchy and flavorful chips! Now, they are still not great for you by any means (carbs, blah, blah, blah) but they are a helluva lot better for you than that deep fried, processed garbage from the market. Try 'em and let me know what you think! Experiment with flavors and even different types of tortillas too!


Ingredients:

1 package organic corn tortillas (I used Trader Joe's)
Spray olive (or other cooking) oil


Salt
Tajin (aka: my crack - a chili lime seasoning from Mexico) or whatever other spices you'd like to add


Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 450ยบ F
With a pizza cutter, cut a stack of about 6 tortillas into four equal pieces
Spray with just a tiny bit of olive oil
Sprinkle a little salt and Tajin
Bake for about 5-7 minutes, checking to make sure they don't burn.
Serve with guac or salsa


I just cut up some ripe avocado with a little lime juice squeezed on top. YUM!

Comments

  1. Adding this to the list of Things I Plan to Eat on March 23.

    And you might want to check out the new(ish) Falafel Chips at Trader Joes. They're super yummy, vegan, gluten-free, and hit the salt cravings hard. Made from garbanzos and corn, they include 4g of fiber per serving, 3g of protein, and a relatively low 18g carbs. Lots of fat (7g) but still lots of nutritional bang for your munchie buck. (Great, I'm writing about salty snacks at 7am.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right? You sound like me! Anyway, I will definitely look for those next time. The Lentil Curls are horrible for you either. It's that whole potion control thing that gets me with the salty stuff. Every. time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment