Pizza Night!


I don't really eat a lot of pizza as a vegan. Don't get me wrong, I love that there are a million places in the city that use Daiya, but pizza and I have a weird relationship. Always have. I am terribly fussy when it comes to pizza sauce. It  makes or breaks it for me. Usually breaks it. I just find that there's usually too much shit in it, spice-wise. Anyway, I got a spiffy pizza pan with little holes in the bottom to get that perfectly crispy crust, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. The pizza came out incredible! Seriously good and less than half the price for delivery. Cha-ching! Double win! I went a little crazy with the toppings and will likely keep it simple for the next one, but still, it was amazing!  Here we go...

Ingredients:

Pizza dough, either pre- or home-made (I went with pre- and kept it simple. I did a mixture of whole wheat and regular dough.)
All-purpose flour
Pizza sauce (I used Cusina Antica from Rainbow and spent more on this than any other topping.)
Fresh spinach
Fresh garlic, sliced very thin
Fresh mushrooms, sliced very thin
Black olives, sliced
Artichoke hearts (in water, not oil)
Sun dried tomatoes 
1/4 C Daiya

Instructions:

Pre-heat oven to 450ยบ


Spread some flour on your workspace and let the dough sit out and breath for 15-20 minutes. 


Roll out the dough. This is a lot easier said than done when you don't have a rolling pin and are not an expert pizza maker. We tried tossing it in the air, but clearly there is much more to it than that. I just consider ourselves lucky we didn't drop the whole thing on the floor. Ultimately, we just kept stretching  it on the pan until it was pretty close to the same size.


Add some sauce. We used quite a bit, saving a little for dipping.


Add the rest of your toppings, keeping things like sun dried tomatoes near the crust, not on the very top. Mine burned. :|


Cook for 8-12 minutes, until crust begins browning. I checked a few times just to make sure it didn't burn.

Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes if you have the patience.

Slice with a pizza cutter and serve! 


Bon appetit! :)




Comments