Tofu Omelettes FTW!!


Not sure why I never experimented with egg alternatives, besides the occasional Ener-G in something I was baking, but with the introduction of THE VEGG, the world's first vegan fried egg (http://thevegg.com), I started craving something eggy for breakfast and I didn't have any of those crazy things around, so I dug around on the internet and found a few recipes that used silken tofu as an omelette base and decided to give it a go. The one I went with is designed to be for one person, but unless you are completely starving or hungover, there's no way you could possible eat the whole thing without feeling gross afterward.
I was really pleased with how this came out, and though it is more time consuming than my usual breakfast, it's a great way to start your mellow Sunday morning (read: don't make this before a long run). Pair it with some hash browns, toast or sliced tomatoes and of course, a huge cup of coffee. YUM!

Serves 2

Prep time: 10 min/Cook time: 10 min


Ingredients:

1 package silken tofu, drained
1 TBSP soy milk
1 TBSP nutritional yeast (I used more)
1 TBSP cornstarch or arrowroot powder
1 tsp tahini
1/8 tsp onion or garlic powder (or both!)
1/4-1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
1 (good sized) pinch smoked paprika or chipotle pepper (I used sweet smoked paprika and it was great!)

Omelette fillings. I used spinach, crimini mushrooms, sugar plum tomatoes and a little bit of Daiya.

Instructions:


Blend together all ingredients except the filling. The Vitamix comes in handy here, but a hand blender or regular old counter top blender will also work well.

Spray a (truly) non-stick skillet with a little olive oil and heat on med-high until SUPER HOT. If you pour the batter into a skillet that isn't hot enough, your omelette will stick and you may not be able to fold it in half. It will still taste good though! ;)


Pour batter into the center of the skillet in a circular pattern about 6-8" across, then use a spoon to smooth over the top. Place your ingredients on top and reduce the heat to medium-low.

Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes, checking often to see if it's done. When the edges are getting crusty and the middle is no longer liquified, use your spatula to see if it's set. the bottom should be a golden-light brown color. When ready, scoop underneath one half of the omelette with the spatch and fold it over onto itself. Cook for another minute or so then carefully slide it onto your plate. Divide and serve HOT!


Enjoy! Let me know what you think!

Tips: Make sure your filling ingredients are dry, and if you are having a hard time getting the tofu to cook all the way through, you can divide the batter into two (or more) smaller batches.



Comments

  1. This has a serious wow factor and I MUST TRY IT!!!!! I have a really great food processor that could handle this but it sure doesn't stack up to the Vitamix. I also have rarely entered the world of silken tofu ... perhaps this weekend I will ... thanks for posting this recipe, NOM NOM NOM!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment