Quinoa Stir Fry with Ginger Peanut Sauce


I tried this recipe that I found on The Sweet Life's blog last night and it was freaking GOOD! I probably wouldn't make this too often as it has a LOT of peanut butter in it for two people, but as an occasional treat, I'd definitely make it again. Personally, I would drastically cut the peanut butter and add more water next time. Not that peanut butter isn't good for you in moderation, but it basically comes down to the fact that I cannot be trusted with that much of it in the house. It's just one of those things...
Any-hoo, here you go. I hope you like it as much as we did!


Ingredients for the Peanut Sauce:

1/4 C + 2 TBSP natural smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup water
2 TBSP soy sauce/tamari
1 TBSP rice vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 TBSP ginger, grated

Ingredients for the Quinoa Stir Fry:

1/2 C quinoa, rinsed repeatedly (I used black)
3/4 C water
1 TBSP oil (I used peanut, duh)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium head broccoli (I used baby, or broccolini)
2 carrots, sliced thin. If using a mandolin like I was, BE CAREFUL! More on that later.
1 small red pepper, sliced thin
4-6 baby bok choy, bottoms removed

Optional:

Fresh cilantro or basil
Crushed peanuts
Sesame seeds
6 oz. tofu prepared any old way you want. I used this recipe: (http://herbivoracious.com/2012/05/how-to-make-tofu-really-freaking-delicious-tofu-101.html)


Rinse the quinoa several times and add it to boiling water. Cook covered for about 20-30 minutes, until water has evaporated and quinoa is light and fluffy. Leave covered, with heat off, for an additional ten minutes.

If you're using the Herbavoracious method for cooking your tofu, get crackin' on that too.


While quinoa is cooking, get to work on the vegetables. Heat oil in a cast iron skillet or heavy-bottom pan. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Toss in the remaining vegetables and stir fry until just tender. Do not over cook. They taste a lot better when there is still a snap to them. Remove from heat and set aside.


Mix the ingredients for peanut sauce together. This is the BEST part of the recipe in my opinion, because I too, cannot stand cleaning my Vitamix after things like peanut butter have been in it. It's always a good idea to save your jars. I used an old Bubbie's jar. Place all the ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake it for several minutes. Hands down, the easiest, cleanest way for peanut sauce. Once well combined, pour over vegetables and stir to combine.

See?! That's a LOT of peanut sauce! 

Serve over cooked quinoa and top fresh cilantro, peanuts or sesame seeds and tofu (if desired). 


Footnote, or ummm, thumbnote: When using a mandolin, ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION! I managed to lop off a good portion of my thumb's knuckle last night and it still hurts like hell! Don't worry, I sterilized everything and chucked what couldn't be used, but OUCH!!!

Comments

  1. Great post! I will try to cook this later for our dinner. I am sure my kids will enjoy eating. So Thank you so much for posting this one.

    Stir Fry Recipe Sauce

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment