Italian-Style Stuffed Peppers


This is an Italian version of stuffed peppers that I just sort of made up. Traditionally, Italian stuffed peppers would use rice, but I went with pasta shells which added an nice texture and made them a little more visually interesting. You could also add fresh basil, but I was out at the time I made these so I substituted with Pesto Vegenaise (which is TO DIE FOR) instead. Hope you like it as much as I did! 



Serves 2 (whole pepper) or 4 (half pepper)

Ingredients:
1/2 C Small Pasta or Rice (I used shells)
2 bell peppers
2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
1/2 med onion, diced
8 meatless meatballs
2 oz firm tofu, crumbled
10-15 Cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 C Mozzarella Daiya shreds
1 TBSP Follow Your Heart Pesto Vegenaise (You could also use regular Veganaise and fresh basil)
Bread crumbs (I used panko)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350ยบ

Cook pasta or rice as directed.


Combine 4 defrosted meatless meatballs, tofu, onion and garlic in a good sized bowl, smushing the meatballs up as you go.
Cut bell peppers in half, removing seeds.
Once pasta or rice is finished, combine with meatball and tofu mixture, adding Vegenaise and Daiya. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.



Stuff pepper halves with mixture then top each half with one meatless meatball, breadcrumbs and a little sprinkle of Daiya.
Bake for 25 minutes and enjoy with a nice green salad, some garlic bread and a big-ass glass of wine! 



Comments