Tastes Just Like Chicken!!


Soooooo, have any of you tried Beyond Meat yet? I have, and after being completely freaked out by it initially, I've grown quite fond of it over the last few weeks. Here is the website where you can check it out as well as see if it's available in your area yet: http://beyondmeat.com/.

Yes, it's technically processed food which is "bad", but I gotta tell ya, it tastes GOOD! Just like chicken! It looks, tastes, tears, everything like actual chicken meat, hence my initial heebie jeebies. I brought some to my parents' house a few weeks ago and even my vehemently carnivorous dad agreed, it tastes just like chicken! You can use this any way you would tofu, seitan, tempeh, chick peas or any other mock meat.

The best part about it is it's really low cal and carb with a shit ton of protein. 1 serving is 3 ounces, which is like, fourteen strips of the stuff and it's only 100 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, 5 grams of carbs, 3 grams of fiber and 19 grams (nineteen!!) of protein! That's a lot. 3 ounces of extra firm tofu has only 6 grams of protein if you need a reference.

I've used this in a variety of ways, as a salad topper, I've made no-chicken chicken salad (my fave) and I've put it in enchiladas. Do with it what you wish.

Here's a quickie recipe for No-chicken Chicken Salad that tastes almost shockingly like the real thing.

Serves 1:

3 oz. Beyond Meat
1/2 C red or green seedless grapes, halved
1/4-1/2 C quinoa, cooked
1/2 green onion, diced
1TBSP Reduced calorie Vegenaise (or any other mayo alternative)
Splash of lemon juice or rice vinegar (optional)
S+P to taste
1 tsp raw slivered almonds

Mix everything up and put it in a wrap (I use whole grain Lavash) or in-between some toasted artisan bread for a quick, filling and delicious lunch or lazy dinner. Enjoy!

I'm curious what you all will (or do) think of this stuff. Let me know!

Comments