Portobello-Lentil Burgers – You'll never eat a frozen veggie burger again!


I have to admit, before I arrived back in South Florida last week, I was freaking the f#ck out about what we were going to eat while we were there! There is not a lot of vegan options in the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood area unless you want to eat curry every night or have the funds to eat at Sublime for three meals a day. Since neither of those were an option, I packed my juicer (no, I am not crazy) and headed straight to Whole Foods upon arrival to stock up on organic veggies and fruits so I could at least stick to my routine for breakfast each day. While I was there, I discovered they had some store-made mushroom veggie burgers, so I bought a couple of those to try too. They we're AWESOME! I actually saved the wrapper (I said I'm not crazy) and when I got back to San Francisco, I tried to replicate it using their recipe combined with the yummy-sounding one I posted on my Facebook page the other day (http://wholelivingdaily.wholeliving.com/2012/11/dinner-tonight-wild-mushroom-lentil-burgers-with-creamy-cashew-sauce.html#more-28675). Results: AWESOME! So easy too...I never need to buy another box of frozen processed veggie burgers again! Yippee!

Here's what I ended up doing. It yielded about 8 burgers...


2 C lentils (I used the pre-packaged steamed ones from Trader Joe's...love those!)
Unrefined coconut oil 
1 red onion, sliced
2 C portobello mushrooms, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 TBSP fresh rosemary
1 TBSP fresh thyme
2 TBSP tamari or soy sauce
1 C raw sunflower seeds, divided
15 kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
1 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP spicy brown or dijon mustard
1/4 C shredded carrots
Sea salt 
Cracked black pepper

If you are using dried lentils, wash and drain lentils. Add to saucepan with 3 C water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 20-25 minutes, or just get the ready-to eat guys at Trader Joe's to skip this step. They rule! (Thanks Jessi and Rita for turning me on to those!)


In a cast iron skillet, add about a TBSP of coconut oil, onions and a pinch of salt. Cook about five minutes until softened. Add rosemary, thyme and garlic. Cook for a couple more minutes then add the sliced mushrooms. Cook for about five more minutes then add tamari and stir until mushrooms are cooked all the way through. Remove from heat and set aside.


In your food processor or blender (I used the Vitamix this time*), grind 1/2 C sunflower seeds until they are the consistency of breadcrumbs. Add 1C cooked lentils, mushroom and onion mixture, mustard, olive oil and a bunch of cracked black pepper. Pulse to blend, using a spoon to scrape down the sides as needed. You can add a little water if it gets too-too thick, but you definitely don't want it to be too runny. Remember, you have to make patties out of this mixture.
* Next time I will use a hand blender or something not quite as powerful as the Vitamix for a chunkier texture. 


Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add roughly chopped olives, remaining sunflower seeds, shredded carrots and the rest of the whole lentils. Stir to combine.

Wet hands and form eight balls, slightly smaller than a tennis ball. Press down with a spatula, careful not to let them crack at the edges. 

Since these are technically already cooked, you just have to heat them up. I pan fried a couple then baked the rest. Both ways were great!

To pan fry: Add a little coconut oil to your skillet. Cook burgers about 4-5 minutes on each side until golden

To bake: Heat oven to 375ΒΊ. Cook burgers for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, to serve these bad boys! I made the cashew cream listed in the recipe above which complimented the taste from the burgers really well, but you could definitely go the traditional route too and use good old ketchup, mustard, vegan mayo and a pickle to top them off. If you decide to go with the cashew cream, here's the super simple recipe for that as well:

1/2 C raw cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours
1 clove garlic, minced
1 TBSP olive oil
4 tsp fresh lemon juice (about half a lemon's worth)
2 TBSP chives (I didn't have any in the house, so I skipped 'em)
1/2 tsp sea salt
Squirt of honey or maple syrup (Optional...I didn't add any)
1/4 C water

Blend cashews to blender or Vitamix...something strong. Add all other ingredients and blend until smooth, adding small increments of water if needed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got a nice loaf of soft bread and sliced it thick, topping it with a burger, arugula, cashew cream, a little more fresh cracked black pepper and boom! they were ridiculously good!

You can easily make these in advance and freeze or keep in the fridge for about five days too. Convenience food! Hooray! 

Hope you like 'em too! :)






Comments